The main project (bathroom floor replacement, which was the original reason we hired MTH), and the side projects, went exceptionally well. Serge and Nick did an outstanding job.
Serge was affable and courteous. That was my wife's and my impression of Serge when we first met him. Unlike another contractor we interviewed for the project, Serge never tried to convince us to do more than what we wanted done. We explained to him the repairs that needed to be made, he understood them, and suggested on how best to address them.
The day after our initial meeting, and about a week before the project's start date, Serge emailed to us a contract that spelled out the work required, the cost of labor, the payment schedule (no payment upfront; in fact, we paid a big chunk, about 40% of the total cost, after the projects were completed), and other terms of the contract. The cost of materials was not stated on the contract, but Serge gave us an estimate during our first meeting. We went over the estimate because of the side projects that we added later. Serge regularly updated us on their progress and he gave us copies of the receipts for the materials he purchased. We knew where we stood. The member of Serge's team who did most of the work was Nick. My wife and I were home for the duration of the projects, so we were somewhat aware of what he was working on at any given moment. We often wondered if he took breaks or ate lunch because he was constantly "on the clock." His diligence, and the quality of his work, which was first-rate, were commendable. Nick did everything: tiling, drywall repair, painting, carpentry, plumbing, molding installation. He was a master of many. He did all those things while keeping the work area, and surrounding parts of the house, clean.
You can count my wife and me as another satisfied customer of My Town Handyman. We highly recommend Serge and his crew for your next home improvement project.
Description of work:
Bathroom Renovation - рemoved the ceramic floor tiles, tiles on the base of walls, and doorway threshold. Uninstalled the toilet and double sink vanity. Laid cement boards. (There was a slight give on the floor that caused several tiles to crack. The new subfloor is solid, and makes for a tile installation that is sure to last.) Spread 50 lb. thin-set mortar. Reinstalled doorway threshold. Installed new tiles on the floor, which included grouting and cleaning--removal of grout haze. Reinstalled toilet and vanity. (The heftier and sturdier subfloor effectively raised the floor. As a result, flange extenders were used for the toilet, and tube extenders and braided supply lines for the vanity). Installed baseboard moldings. Smoothed the surface of walls (with joint compound). Primed and painted walls and ceiling. Side Projects: Installation of shoe molding on first floor (160+ feet) and repair of crack on ceiling.